To convert a DVD for internet publishing (usually a performance)
1. Forget what you used the last time. Search on PC for at least ten minutes for the a DVD ripper or converter to use with Movie Maker and try to remember what worked the last time you did this. Fail horribly.
2. Search on internet for solution. Download two or three free applications that claim to convert and / or rip to a wmv file so that Movie Maker can pull the appropriate chapter. Spend hours waiting for convert to complete, only to realize that it does not create the file type you need to import into Movie Maker. Remember this is exactly what happened last time you tried to do this.
3. Second or third try finally get the right software. Wait more hours for second or third conversion of original video file. Delete previous backups, converted files, etc. Swear a bit under your breath.
4. Open Movie Maker to pick the performance you want. Clip and save just the section you want in new format. Publish to internet. Hoot and holler.
5. Grumble about how much of a pain this is. Vow to ask for proper files format for internet publishing next time.
Wait for next performance. Usually months off. Start at step one again.
In the meantime, please enjoy this:
Called a creepy cross between Nightmare before Christmas and Nutcracker Suite, this was a labor of love that pushed my creative and choreographic boundaries like never before.